Cosmetic Procedures: Surgical
Breast Augmentation: Breasts are enlarged by placing an implant behind each breast.
- implants can rupture, leak, and deflate
- hardening of scar tissue around implant, causing breast firmness, pain, distorted shape, or implant movement
- nipples may get more or less sensitive
- numbness near incision blood collection around implant/incision
- calcium deposits around implant
- harder to find breast lumps and to see breast changes on a mammogram
- in rare instances, implants can cause anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL) – a rare cancer of the immune system
Breast Lift – Extra skin is removed from the breast to raise and reshape breast.
- skin loss
- infection loss of feeling in nipples or breast
- nipples put in the wrong place
- breasts not symmetrical
Breast Reduction – Fat, tissue, and skin is removed from breast.
- if nipples and areola are detached, may lose sensation and decreased ability to breastfeed
- harder to find breast lumps
- poor shape, size, or position of nipples or breasts